Sunday, January 30, 2011

40 DTG-A Critique

What To Do?


Well, now that the euphoria of getting into the mock-up and the excitement that it worked and did what I want it to has worn off, I've been able to do some thinking.  And some criticizing of my work.


I don't want to get so wrapped up in the fact that it works, to substitute 'good enough' for what I REALLY want.  Otherwise custom making this puppy is pointless.


When I tried it on with the crappy ribbon, and DH pulled to get me into the thing, the ribbon snapped.  Ego bust, yes.  But, I can honestly say that it really was because of shoddy ribbon and not that I'm a fat girl trying to squeeze into a tiny corset.  I could breath.  I was comfortable.  I could even eat and not worry that something would burst loose.  I did, in fact, bend over and pick up my 2 year old with it on.  So the ribbon snapping curtailed pulling down the rest of the lacing to really see where I stood on pulling it together.


So we got into it again today.  This time with real ribbon.  The nice satin kind with bound edges.  I say we because this IS a two-person job.  Remember the scene in Titanic where Rose is clutching the bedpost while mama dismisses the maid and cranks her down into the corset?  Yes, THAT.


So with real ribbon in place, DH laced me down.  And then pulled up some more slack.  And then pulled up some more.  Until the 2 sides of the back were touching all the way down.  And that's when a problem I noticed last night became obvious.  Right where bra straps would meet (if there were straps), the corset gaps outward.  From my view, you could see my bra down the gaps.  Like I would need to take in the seams about 1/2" for the top 2 inches or so on the seam between pieces 2 and 3.


6  -  7  -  4  -  3  -  2  -  9 (center)  -  2  -  3  -  4  -  7  -  6


However, DH solved the problem by saying, "Or if it were smaller, and I could lace it up tighter, it'd be like this," and unceremoniously pinched the side seams.  


And when he did that, Da Girls suddenly looked 20 again.


Let me diverge here with a very honest moment.  We all know that breasts travel south given any length of time.  And that travel pattern is accelerated the larger and heavier they are.  And it's sped even further by breast feeding.  All of this applies to Da Girls.  So any attempts to lift them back to their former glorious position above my stomach will be met with strong resistance.  I'm happy to find as much support as I do with my undergarments, but there's alway The Slope.  You know what I mean.  The obvious, inward, L curve between where your chest left off and your breast begins.  That shelf.


But when DH pinched those sides, The Slope disappeared and Da Girls came up and to attention.  In a nice, well-rounded, 20-year-old, perkiness abounds kind of way.  Not a bursting out, heaving bosom, enough to rival The Tudors kind of way.  Just, enough for me to realize that my top could fit better than it does now.


Sigh.


And the fact that the lacings are touch all the way down means I have no where to go.  If I gain weight, a corset can always be left to gap in the back and a modesty panel sewn under the lacings.  But if I lose any weight, I'm SOL.  Which is something I'm actively trying to do.  And because the planned embroidery pattern sprawls across all the pieces, it's not like I could just take in those side seams later.  So I need to plan for the dress to fit 6 weeks from now.


Sigh again.


Lastly, there's bunching lines in front under the bust and in back at the spot where my bust line comes around to the back and the line where my waist pivots out to my hip.  In traditional sewing, this usually means something's too tight and it's pulling.  But extensive online research regarding corsets reveals that this happens because of shoddy, cheap boning.  Which plastic is.  Steal coil boning is the recommended fix for this.  I'd looked into buying some online previously, but the serious corset supply manufacturers (several in Europe) would all take 4-6 weeks to ship it to me.  I looked online today and found a ebay supplier shipping out 20 feet with 24 end tabs (perfect for my 12 pieces) for $10.  So I ordered it.  I figure I have to send the semi finished top to mom to embroider so I have until it comes back to put the boning in.  If the ebay order isn't here in time I can always just use the plastic boning.


So all the sighing because...I really need to make another mock up and try it with another size cut down.  I know, I know.  Y'all are impatiently waiting for The Real Thing.  I am too.  This is the most tedious part of sewing.  But I want to feel and look FABULOUS in this dress.  Who knows when I may ever get the chance to wear something like it again.  And I want my work to speak for itself.  So Mock Up, Take 4...here I come.


PS-How on EARTH did I ever imagine I was going to get this all done in the five days my parents were here to send it home with my mom?  That was right brain thinking right there.  Yeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment