Thursday, January 20, 2011

51 DTG-Pattern Work

Pattern Work

I'm not sure how versed my potential readers are in sewing, so I'll start at the beginning.  The pattern packet comes as several very thin sheets of tissue paper, tightly folded together.






Unfolding them revealed 5 separate sheets that have several pieces to the pattern printed on each.  Each piece has a description and a number on it which corresponds to the directions sheet, which tells you which pieces you need for which garments.  It's like separating the edge pieces from the inside pieces of a puzzle to start.


5 pattern sheets-1 on each chair back + 1 on ironing board
PS-Welcome to my sewing space, aka my dining room/study


On my pattern (McCall's 5321), the corset top is garment A, the billowed skirt is garment B, and the same skirt with a bridal train is garment C.  In this instance, the pattern pieces to make garment B and C are the same, except I will cut the back skirt pieces along the line for the B garment.  In other words, the lines for garment B are within the lines of garment C so they save space by printing them on the same sheet.  Patterns like this with several different choices or alterations within the same garment are common.


I separate my pattern pieces by roughly cutting between them (not ON the lines of the pattern - this will make it easier to cut my fabric.  More on that later.)  I've separated them into piles for the top, the outside layer of the skirt and the stay layer of the skirt.  The skirt pieces will need some special work done to them later, but I've set them aside for now, to work on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment