Thursday, January 27, 2011

46 DTG-Mock Up, Take 2, Continued

Well, things have gotten complicated.  *insert eyeroll here because this is what happens to ALL my projects when left-brain starts taking over*


Now that I'm very closely reading the Vogue directions, I realize piece 8 (Back band) is NOT a flap that lays under the laced up ribbon (like a back guard so my skin wouldn't be showing between the lacings).  It is actually the reinforced piece where I'm supposed to poke the grommets through.  It's partially assembled and then sewn onto the edge of the back to give it a little more stability.  But this means that it adds additional width to the back of the corset.  Where my mom was able to make the sides meet in the back when I tried the top on, they may very well overlap with the addition of these two pieces which will give me no play to pull the lacings tight.  For this "play" I will actually need a 2 inch (or larger) gap between the finished edges of the back.  So...I made them and assembled them onto the mock up.


Folded length-wise, right sides together, stitch across ends, trim seam allowance

Turn right side out. To make a sharp corner I use a knitting needle
or wooden skewer to turn out the ends.


Press, baste across open edges


Pin to outside of each back (piece 6) between large circles, stitch


The large circles I marked on pieces #6 didn't convey in this pic,
so I've accented them. These were transferred from the pattern with a
washable cloth marker when I cut out the pieces.


Press seam in. You can see the large circles drawn
onto the fabric better in these pics.  That protruding edge
is where the grommets will get punched on the finished product.


Once I tried the modified top on and had hubby pin me tightly into it, we realized I have a 2 inch overlap!!  What an ego boost!  He marked where he had pinned me in with pencil so I have guidelines to measure.  The beauty of a mock-up is being able to draw all over the cheap fabric, knowing I won't be actually wearing this working garment.


I've got some room to take in the hip, waist and
even more at the bust (I know!  Shocking that my
bust needs the most taking in)


All of the pattern pieces are cut the same for all sizes except where pieces 4 and 7 meet at the side seam.  So this will be the place I need to take in the garment to get the back seams to gap for the lacings.


The various dotted lines are the places to cut for different sizes.

The marks DH made on the back indicate I could do with 2 inches off, but I'm going to sew in the seam one size at a time and keep trying it on.


To Do List

  • Mock up, take 3
  • Whatever the last To Do List said since I got side-tracked from it today *insert grimace face here*

No comments:

Post a Comment