Saturday, February 26, 2011

14 DTG-The Skirt, Taffeta

Now that I know that the lining layer is as full as I was envisioning and works with the petticoat, it's onto the taffeta layer.  It's essentially constructed the same way the lining layer was, from the same pattern pieces.


Under Layer (Outer Layer of the Stay) - Taffeta
  • 10 - Waistband (only 1 cut from material, cut second one from interfacing)
  • 11 - Side stay (cut twice to equal 4 total pieces)
  • 12 - Front stay
  • 13 - Back stay
I've laid out, but not cut, pieces 12 and 13.  I'll start with them first, so that all I'll have left are 2 sets of piece 11 which I'll need to refold the remaining material in the other direction.




Piece 13 cut out of taffeta. You can see the extrapolation
to add length to the bottom compared to the pattern.


Transferring markings from the pattern to the material


I use a pin through the layers to transfer markings to the bottom layer of fabric


Piece 12, Notice my ironing board in the foreground,
the bolt of remaining fabric across the arms of the chair
in the background and the taped instruction sheets to
the bookshelf for easy reference.


Second set of piece 11.  There's a lot of extra yardage draping off the table on the left.


Once I'm done with these pattern pieces, I'm finished with them, so I can put them away.  There was a section of piece 11 for the other sizes that had been cut off when cutting out material.  I had labeled it in case it got lost floating around, but I reattach it now.



I like to fold my garment pieces together, so they come out as a complete packet if I ever need to use them again.  Then they go back into the pattern envelope.  I'll have to blog sometime on my organization methods, probably when I detail my dream craft room and what I have now.


The last piece I need is a single cut of piece 10 for the skirt waistband, which I take from a left over margin.


Then it's onto assembly!  I'm finally feeling more excited about the outcome of this project than I am stressed about the lack of time to finish it.  I think, since being at the TWO WEEK TO GO mark, the excitement about the trip in general is starting to kick in.  :-)


Just like cutting out the pieces for the taffeta were nearly identical to cutting them for the lining, so is assembly of this layer.

  • Stitch together front half:  11 - 12 - 11
  • Stitch together back center sections 13 - 13 up to large circle, leaving above this mark open.  This will be where the zipper runs.  Clip seam allowance to large circle.
  • Stitch remainder of back half:  11 - 13 - 13 - 11
  • Stitch front and back halves together to create circle.




To Do List
  • Seam allowances of lining and taffeta
  • Figure pockets
  • Join lining and taffeta
    • zipper
    • waistband
    • hem (horse hair)
  • Cut pieces from organdy
  • Assemble organdy layer
  • Finish skirt details

No comments:

Post a Comment