Thursday, February 24, 2011

16 DTG-The Skirt

So after spending ALL DAY yesterday researching machines and visiting a dealer here in town, I've learned that even if I order a machine today, it won't come in for another 6 weeks.  :-(  So unless my mom can get this embroidered, I'm going plain.


In the meantime, I'm onto the skirt.


I had started cutting some of the pieces in order to cut out the top pieces.  I already have piece 12 and 13 cut out of the lining.  I need to cut 2 piece 11s (for a total of 4 pieces).


Piece 11 is a little tricky though.  This is the only piece that has different size markings on it (kind of like pieces 4 and 7 on the top).  To cut out the size that I need, I need the widest bottom on the piece.  Then to expand this by another foot (remember I need additional length for all the reasons I detailed in this post), makes the bottom even wider.


Once I extrapolate the base of the skirt by 12"
(which is marked by the rulers) piece 11 is too wide
to fit on the fabric this way


To solve this, the pattern directions recommend folding the selvages the other way.  Refolding a HUGE piece of fabric like this is a major PITA and has me wishing - again - that I had a better set up than my kitchen table, office chair and ironing board.  LOL


Here's how I normally spread out the fabric.
When it's folded lengthwise, it's just as wide as my table.


Here's the fabric folded in half the other way.
Notice the fold line down the middle left
from when the fabric is folded to roll on a bolt.


I cut 2 sets of piece 11 from the refolded fabric by
inverting the pieces to minimize how much material is used.


To extrapolate the ends of the skirt pieces, I use my quilting tools.


Tomorrow, to make sure the skirt is full enough (both for my tastes and to fit over the petticoat), I'm going to assemble the lining layer before I cut out any more material from taffeta or get started on the organdy.

To Do List
  • Assemble lining layer
  • Cut out rest of taffeta pieces
  • Assemble taffeta pieces
  • Join lining and taffeta
    • zipper
    • waistband
    • hem (horse hair)
  • Cut pieces from organdy
  • Assemble organdy layer
  • Finish skirt details

No comments:

Post a Comment